The final thing I ended up doing is applying varnish to the bow, so as to seal it from moisture, or it drying up, both of which would ruin the bow. This is the last post of my process, and there will be no further documentation of my personal project.
The process after the tapering was the process of smoothing the bow down, so that it would not give splinters, and also so that it would not end up bending unevenly. I had to make this process fairly quick, so as to not make the bow too thin.
The final process of making my bow was tapering, which was one of the hardest processes that there were. I had to make the bow bend fairly uniformly, so that one side was not bearing more strain than the other.
The use of Pensu is simpler than word press, and would have probably made the making of process journals much easier. The making of the bow, as told in the article on my PB works page, tells how the process is going, and how is is near completion, with only a few steps left to finish. Although Pensu is easier to use, is is much like a google doc, and could very easily be replaced by that, because the format it uses is very similar, and the applications are the exact same.
The project has been going smoothly overall. I have made a video on the IB learner profile, and it should be on youtube as of this moment. I will probably re-upload it soon, if there are any errors in the processing.
The project has been going smoothly, though there have been some errors with the bowstring length; I’m going to have to start the bowstring over, considering the length, I should always cut a section longer. I’m going to go with alternative of using the bow kit string, which is probably for the best.
The side-projects that we have been doing for technology requirements have required me to make some changes to the overall plan in the project, causing me to make some changes when trying to get the project to completion.
The bowstring is coming across some problems, and I might just end up using parachute cord itself, which will speed up the process quite a bit, allowing me to complete the project by the deadline.
The bow stave has started being made, and is fairly compliant on being made into a stave, following the grain on the bow is proving fairly easy, although, contrary to common belief, the bow stave itself is straight, and the bowstring is what causes the bow to bend, causing a snap of the bowstring when pulled back. The bow is said to ‘follow’ the sting when the bow keeps the curve when unstrung.
I’m filling in the place where I got my hickory stave from. It is a fairly reliable site, and has gotten me a good stave for carving into a bow. I will have to explain the process in another post, later on. It did come in a bow kit, which contains a bowstring, which I will use as a last resort.